Monday, June 8, 2009

Some Things Never Change

Growing up we were the kind of family that played a lot of board games together. One of our favorites was Monopoly. We owned several versions...Star Wars, Disney, The Classic, and my mom and dad even made a giant version of the game with a shower curtain that looked like the Monopoly board. Needless to say, I have played my fair share of this game. As a kid it was impossible to beat my older brother. Impossible! I think it became a challenge to see if we could finally beat him. So, now I'm a bit older and a lot smarter than I was as a kid. I should be able to win every so often, wouldn't you think? Yeah, me too. Unfortunately that is not the case. Ever since my parents have given us Monopoly, I have been trying to beat Mark at it. We have probably played at least a dozen times in the last 6 months or so. After all this time, I can't win...not a single game....and I keep coming back for more. It's totally like a challenge now. I don't think I'll be satisfied until I can finally beat him in Monopoly. It's funny how some things just never seem to change.

10 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I have to admit, I'm not a huge Monopoly fan. We have it at my office, and the kids want to play. I tell them I will play any game but that. They usually don't know the rules and it takes forever!

Mary Kelly said...

My family made up our own rules to Monopoly so it was easier to win and did not take as long. Whenever I try to play the real version I get beat- bad! So maybe we should play because you would totally kick my trash.

Laura said...

I don't think I have ever completed a game the "real" way. You'll get him one of these days....

5Youngers said...

LOVE that game! Keep at it.... I never win either.

Lee said...

We used to play games every Friday, but instead of playing monopoly, we played Yahtzee.
We'd always get so excited when we actually ROLLED a yahtzee!
Come visit my blog sometime. :)

The Steve said...

That game drives me nuts. A buddy of mine would pull the "since you are low on cash, I will forgive the debt if you give me x,y and z lands". I was never good at that game ^_^

Emily and Jake said...

Ah Katie and you have had way more practice to... maybe the 20th time is the charm lol! have fun playing. (You know I have sometimes wondered if Michael stashed extra money or something. He always won!)

Charlene said...

Better try Monopoly Jr - Maybe Mark will be too enthralled playing with the fun game pieces to see your hidden I'm-gonna-win-it-this-time strategy.

Or, maybe you could play it with the nieces/nephews, and feel good when you beat them.

Oh, did I just say that out loud?

Sarah said...

Well, you have to have at least one flaw in life. That's what you get for being so dang good at everything else! Keep at it, maybe someday...
And when you're feeling really down, you can think, "hey, at least I'm not as bad as Sarah is at Mario Kart."

Carissa(GoodnCrazy) said...

I'm no real fan of monopoly either, but the JR version isn't so long winded.. give me boggle or some other fast playing over with quickly game.. can you say no patience??!

And the bunko post below.. do you play with money ever, or just the gifts.. cuz the only time I ever did that I was all.. huh? Um isn't that gambling??