Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Wish I Was There

Hi.  My name is Katie and I spend hours every day watching the Olympics. 

Whew….it feels good to get that off my chest.

There is an extra special place in my heart for the winter Olympics.  When the Olympics were in Salt Lake in 2002, Mark and I had the opportunity to be on the Merchandise staff at Soldier’s Hollow where the cross country skiing took place.  Whenever we weren’t working, we were at home watching the other events.  For those few weeks our lives revolved around the Olympics.  It was so amazing to be a part of something so big. 

I always enjoyed the Olympics before then, but as of that year, I was hooked.  You could definitely say that whenever the winter Olympics roll around, it brings back many fun memories.  One day I would love nothing more than to go to the Olympics again and cheer on the US athletes.  For now, though, I am content to cheer from my couch every night….where it’s nice and warm.

11 comments:

Laura said...

Yes! The Olympics rock!! They're so fun to watch!

Kristina P. said...

I am more of a summer Olympics fan. Curling? What is that?

Genavee said...

I'm all about the figure skating. Even without a tv, I still make sure to watch the clips online.

5Youngers said...

I love the Olympics. I have watched since I was a little girl.

Jules AF said...

I didn't know Soldier's Hollow was the site of the Olympics. Also, I apologize for my absence. I deleted all the blogs off my sidebar, and your blog was on there! I was like, why hasn't she updated in so long?!? And then I found my reason. Stupid me.

Katie said...

No worries, BN. I just figured you were busy while you were in Cali. Glad you're back.

just call me jo said...

I've started watching the skiing and skating, the snow boarding, and some of the speed skating. OK, I'm starting to warm up to it. (Ha,ha...see it's the WINTER Olympics and I'm warming up...oh, never mind. I'm sure I'm the only one that thought that was funny.)

Jenny said...

Hi Katie! I love your blog! I worked at the Soldier's Hollow site, too. My title was a little less glamerous than yours, though...I was on the hotdog staff.
Still great fun, though!

Hope you are Mark are doing well!
-Jenny

Team Simmons said...

Hi Katie,
Thanks for stopping by our blog. I have to admit I have visited yours through Whitneys as well and have never commented. Just a friendly stalker! Hope all is well with you!

Sarah said...

I'm totally with you on the whole olympics thing. Although I get a whole lot more worked up just knowing that some life/career changing crash is just around the corner. I'm sure that my blood pressure just sky-rockets. Who's going to biff it next? Ulga from Russia or Tina from Georgia who is actually from Michigan and has never technically been to the country of Georgia? I just don't know - but I sure love to watch!

Katie said...

Sarah.....Tina's best friend's, cousin's, little sister's, 3rd grade teacher's, garbage man's, stepdaughter's, aunt....went there once. Totally connected to the country!