Sunday, January 9, 2011

You Can Call Me Old Fashioned…

But talking and texting non stop during my Sunday school class drive me absolutely bananas!

Allow me to explain…

Have you ever had a calling that you thought was going to kick your butt?

Last week I was asked to be a Sunday school teacher.  The bishopric member who asked me thought I would be team teaching the 12 year old class.  Today I was made official and I was mentally prepared for a bunch of  really immature12 year olds who had just graduated from primary.

You can imagine my surprise when I walked into my classroom to find eight or nine 15 and 16 year olds.  What?!  Um…I was not mentally prepared for that.  I rebounded quickly and decided it was going to be a lot of fun.  I worked in the Young Women’s program for quite a few years, so I have some experience and I thought it would be ok.

I quickly realized it might take a while to get in a groove with this calling.  Maybe it had to do with the two girls who literally did not stop talking the whole time…despite being asked to stop and participate.  Or maybe it was when I had to interrupt my co-teacher and confiscate a cell phone from a girl who just wouldn’t stop texting and distracting half the class.  I want to have fun with these kids, and I want them to enjoy coming, but I also want a level of respect that was completely absent today.  I certainly don’t expect perfection, but I was hoping that by this age we would be past some of this kind of behavior.  Sigh.

I definitely wouldn’t say that today was a smashing success.  And I don’t know how next week will go either.  I just hope we can all get into a good groove and have some good lessons and a bit of fun this year.  Otherwise, I just might go crazy.

11 comments:

Jules AF said...

It's totally like that in my Sunday School class, and we're all adults. Oops.

Mary Kelly said...

I have issues with that with all of my YW. It does get frustrating especially when they roll their eyes at you for interupting their conversation. You do know that teenagers know everything right? ;)

Kristina P. said...

Jesus sent my husband a text today, in Sunday School, because he was looking at ESPN and Facebook. He was very disappointed. Maybe that will work?

just call me jo said...

Cell phones in church drive me crazy. I want to go up and rip it out of anyones hand when I see it. And don't use the excuse that you're reading your scriptures on the phone. Please. I got out of teaching just as iphones were becoming...I sympathize. Would speaking to parents be advisable or are they texting too? Argh! How does God not just send lightning bolts down? Maybe he has better control of his feelings and actions--do you think? (I'm glad he's restrained himself when it comes to my discretions, but still...)

megan said...

I hate cell phones at church too. Maybe they can check them in at the beginning of class or talk with the parents. If they are using them in sunday school I am sure they are using them in the rest of their meeting. I hope things get better for you. You are a great teacher.

Anonymous said...

How frustrating! It might be worth a quick chat with their parents. I was looking into some help for a similar situation and I came across some teaching tools on lds.org for dealing with distractions or interruptive behavior.

http://lds.org/pa/display/0,17884,5812-1,00.html

This link is specifically for primary, but may be helpful to you. I know you can make a difference Katie! Good luck! <3

Will & Cheyenne said...

I am so glad you left a comment because me link to your blog wasn't working and I've been missing you!!?? How's crazy cold Idaho?

I can't believe what you had to deal with. It's been to set the standard now what you expect. There are several really cool object lessons out there at Mormonshare.com.

Sherri said...

That is super tough!
I would have to say...cell phones DO not belong in church!
But the talking teenagers, can drive you crazy!
Hang in there...they need you..even when they act like they dont!

Laura said...

Oh, so frustrating!! Hang in there chica! You're going to have them wrapped around your finger in no time! :-)

Whitney said...

This is a big problem for us in YW too. It's such a FRUSTRATING challenge! Good luck!

Sarah said...

You'll rock at this calling, I just know it! Sometimes when I don't like what Jaxon and Sammi are doing I make them stop and hold hands...then again 15 yr olds might like that...