Monday, December 8, 2008

Singing Christmas Tree

I got to hang out with the Young Women from our ward this weekend. We took a day trip up to Portland. It was actually a sunny and clear day. It couldn't have been better. We were able to walk around the temple. A security guard stopped us while we were taking pictures. He offered to take us around and explain to us the symbolism in several of the designs and patterns on the outside of the temple. It was so interesting. I love learning random little bits of information like that. Later, when I was telling Mark about it, I sounded so smart.
After leaving the temple grounds we went and saw a performance by The Singing Christmas Tree. Now, I don't know about you, but I have never seen a singing Christmas tree before. So in case you were wondering what one looks like, you've come to the right place. This is the largest choir in Oregon, and boy were they great. It was a fun performance with a lot of emphasis on the real meaning and purpose of Christmas. It was totally worth going. After the show was over we went to the Portland International Raceway for the Christmas light show. It is a giant light display that you drive through to see.

It was a fun to see the lights and listen to Christmas music. The displays were so cool. There were a few random ones, though....like mermaids and seahorses. Why did they have a whole mermaid display? Am I missing something? The story of the Christmas mermaid is escaping me. If anybody knows it, you'll have to fill me in.

It was such a fun day, with a funny group of women. I'm so glad they had some extra tickets and they let me tag along. I'm so there next year.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

I was just reading your blog and showing Jaxon the picture of you and Mark. I said, "look, there's Katie and Mark." To which he promptly replied "Crazy Uncle Mark, okay?!" Mark has taught him well, bravo.
Sounds like you had a great time with those young women! See you soon. We leave in 8 days - race ya!

Will & Cheyenne said...

You will have to share with me what you learned at the temple that day. I would love to hear!

Kristina P. said...

That singing Christmas tree is awesome!!

Unknown said...

Hey! Symbolism on our temple??!!! How cool is that! Ya gotta share, girl!

Shelby said...

Cool singing tree!! That looks kinda funny, but really cool!

Katie said...

Yeah...so the tree was kinda funny looking, but they did sound great. I will try to explain what the security guard told us about the exterior of the temple and post it.

Brittany Marie said...

That tree is awesome!

I love the Portland temple. My sister got married there (she lives in St. Helens.)

Laura said...

What a fun outing!! Extra tickets are the BEST!! Glad you had a wonderful time, but with all the awesome things you guys did, how could you not have a great time!! :-)