Monday, June 14, 2010

The Skinny. The Lowdown. The 411.

The last few weeks have been kind of crazy and full of unexpected turns.  It’s almost hard for me to wrap my head around everything that’s going on.    So, lets start at the beginning and I’ll explain.

A few months ago Mark’s company announced major layoffs.  This announcement didn’t come as a huge surprise to us.  We knew they were coming and in a crazy way, we began to hope that he would be one of the ones to get laid off.  I know, right?  It sounds absolutely crazy.  But it really was what we were hoping for.  We were just ready to make some big changes in our lives, and the severance package they were offering would really give us the financial ability to do that. 

When we found out that Mark was selected to be laid off, we were actually excited.  We viewed it as the open door to make a move we’ve been wanting to make for quite a long time.  Now we could start making plans.

So, we put our house up for sale.  Five days later we had an offer come in and we were able to secure the sale of our house!  That in and of itself is truly a miracle.  Seriously.  We were so mentally prepared for it to take FOREVER to sell our house, because let’s face it, houses aren’t exactly selling like hot cakes right now.  The fact that it happened so fast is amazing to me.  It’s almost hard for me to believe that it actually happened…I’m still kind of in shock.   

What’s next in this big plan of ours?  Well…we’re moving to Idaho.  That’s right.  We’re going to the land of snow, wind, and potatoes.  Do you think they’ll let me in even though I hate potatoes?  I sure hope so. 

We are really excited about this move.  Most of my family has gradually made their way out there and for the first time since we’ve been married, we will live near them.  I’m actually going to be able to hang out with my sisters and my parents any time I want to….and that makes me so happy.

Mark actually left me here in Oregon and headed out to Idaho as soon as the official layoff notice came.  He’s been staying with my parents and hanging out with my family.  I’m super jealous of him right now!  Really, he’s been working hard to make contacts, follow up on leads, and find a new job out there.  Considering he’s been out there less than a week, things have been going really well.  He has a big second interview lined up for Thursday that he is really excited about.  We’re crossing our fingers and toes on this one.

We truly feel blessed with how quickly everything has happened.  This isn’t an easy move for us to make and we are working really hard on our part to help make everything come together.  It is so easy to see the hand of the Lord working in our lives right now.  Doors are being opened for us and the way is being prepared.  I don’t know exactly what the next few weeks and months will bring, but I know we’ll be just fine.  As my friend, Marie has always said, “The Lord provides”. 

15 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, wow! I have never known someone who was actually excited to move to Idaho. :)

Good luck with everything.

Baller family said...

Wow! That's exciting news.....isn't it amazing how the Lord works! He truly does provide a way. Best of luck with moving!

Genavee said...

Wow! I'm glad things are working out for you guys. Best of luck with all those big changes, it sounds like your excited.

just call me jo said...

Welcome to Idaho. See, I just moved away after living there all my life. What part are you moving to? Hey, Idaho is great! You'll never find nicer people and more beautiful scenery. The weather is bearable and the traffic is a dream. I love Idaho. "Here we have Idaho..." (I break into the state song!) You'll be fine. Not everyone in Idaho loves potatoes. They even took that slogan off our license plates (which, by the way, are ever-so-much cheaper to get than any where else I know.) Bon voyage! Let me know how it goes. If your family lives there then you have a real leg up anyway. You're not alone.

Carolyn said...

Wow, that is a big move! Good luck to you guys, sounds like things will work out splendidly.

Erin said...

I can't believe how quickly that came together. Good for you! Good luck packing up the house and good luck to Mark in finding a job.

Mary Kelly said...

What great news!!! I am so happy that each step along the way has worked out. I'm sure Mark will land a great job soon. Oregon will miss you guys but how FUN to live closer to your family :)

Shayne said...

Who knew that one day that your family would all end up in Idaho?! :) That's so exciting! I'm so happy for you guys!

5Youngers said...

WoooooooooW! I am so excited for you guys... the Lord really does bless us doesn't he. You guys will make wonderful Idahoians! We will really miss you!

Jut and Char said...

Katie - You don't like potatoes, not even french fries? Being an native Idahoan and the daughter of a former potato farmer, I am shocked! :) We will miss you but we are so grateful to have had the chance to get to know you and Mark. I know your not gone yet but Good Luck.
Char

Whitney said...

I'm so happy and excited for you, and my fingers and toes are perma-crossed until Mark gets that job! Seriously, though, when you do something you KNOW you're supposed to do, the Lord will prepare a way. We've had first hand experience around here - and it sounds like you're experiencing the same thing! How awesome that you're going to be so close to family! When we visit, we'll have to stop and say hi! Good luck with everything! Leaving great friends is never easy...

Jules AF said...

aha! Good luck with your move and everything! Ugh, packing.

Laura said...

I commented on this post and don't know what happened to it! Dang phone! It was kind of like, what the what?! That happened way quicker than I was expecting. I'm excited for you. Yay, sniff, yay, sniff. You get the idea.... :-)

Kacie said...

Wow! I never would have thought most of your family would end up in Idaho! :) How exciting for you! It's always nice living close to family. I wish I lived a little closer to my parents! Good luck with everything! I hope Mark gets the job he wants!

Monica said...

Wow, so many big changes, Katie! You have such a great attitude, and you and Mark are so amazing -- I know you'll be blessed. Good luck with all that lies ahead! If you ever "need" to make a trip down to the Provo area to see a BYU game, please let me know! We'd love to see you and our door is always open. And we have an amazing air mattress for guests ...