Checkmate
This is my nephew, Orion. He is probably the coolest 5 year old I know. Seriously. One of the things he is really into right now is chess. Well, Santa knew he wanted his own chess set, and boy did Santa deliver. He loves it. Any time we are at their house, he really wants to play. Now, I have never played chess. Ever. It has just never happened. So a couple of weeks ago, Orion taught me how to play. He had to keep reminding me how my pieces could move. Much to his delight, he totally beat me...twice. And despite what Mark or Steven thought, I really was trying my hardest to beat him. I was up at their house again this week and we played again. He still had to remind me how the pieces moved before we started. Then the most amazing thing happened...I won! I couldn't believe it. Neither could Orion, but he was a great sport about it. Of course when I came home that night, I had to tell Mark that I actually beat Orion in chess. Now, I know it sounds kind of funny to be so excited about beating a 5 year old in chess, but I don't care. I worked really hard for that win, and I am going to enjoy it!
7 comments:
Orion could start a new game show - "Are you smarter than this 5 year old?" You know, kinda a spin off of that show "So you think you're smarter than a 5th grader" (or whatever it is, I haven't seen it). He would be rolling in the dough and you know that you would win...at least once out of three times. Way to go Katie! What a cool kid, that Orion.
I onlyl learned how to play chess last year, by one of the kids I worked with! I did enjoy it.
Wow! A brainy nephew...S. & A. will totally have their hands full keeping him occupied and plugged in at school!
And, I'm with you - I have no idea how to play chess. He could totally beat me, too!
Will you teach me to play? I've always wanted to learn!!
He's a cutie!!
What a cute nephew you have. I can't believe he is already 5!
He is definitely one of the smartest 5 year olds I know! You are a great Aunt!
So, Katie, I don't know how to play chess either, so don't feel bad. I would be excited to beat him too!
Post a Comment